Aug 21, 2012
LVL1 is currently seeking instructors and study group leaders for curriculum that would interest the Louisville community. During the last 3 months of this year, we hope to have a mixture of Classes, Workshops, and Study Groups. Here are the differences between the 3:
- Study Group – A free online class from some outstanding universities that are self paced with a video/online instruction. These are free to the public and will be absolutely free at the space.
- Workshop – A one night (sometimes two) information session on a topic or an activity. These normally cost between $10 to $50 depending on the workshop. Price should include any supplies required.
- Classes – 6 to 8 sessions of 2-3 hours each over a 6 to 8 week period covering a topic in depth which includes course goals and hands on experience. Target cost is $100 per student, most of which goes to the instructor as compensation.
For more information, keep reading.
Study Group Volunteers.
We will need at least one LVL1 member to be a volunteer for any potential study groups to be able to let people into the space.
If you think you may be interested, please look at the offerings located at the following sites.
If are a member, and you find one that you want to take and would be willing to act as a host for others to partake at the space, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will find a time that works with your schedule and will post it on our schedule with the courses and workshops.
Workshop and Course Instructors
Class or workshop instructors are not required to be a member. Compensation is available.
Compensation is available for instruction. We pay 75% of the workshop/class cost to you as an instructor with the other 25% going to operational expenses. Members will get a 25% discount, but this does not affect your compensation, you get the same amount for a member or nonmember. As part of this compensation, you are responsible for deriving all course materials and acquiring any lab materials. Its okay to charge the students a fee for supplies, but this should cost should be made as minimal as possible. Lab fees will be part of the evaluation of your application.
What kind of topics are we looking for? Anything really, though we will evaluate your application for topics we believe will be of interest to the membership and the public. Suggested topics include, but not limited to:
- Android programming
- General electronics
- Web programming
- Mobile device programming
- Linux and Unix related topics
- Hardware topics (PC building etc)
- Networking how to’s
- SQL programming
- Office productivity (Excel VBA, Word VBA)
- Game programming
- Ruby on Rails
- Drupal CMS
- WordPress CMS
We have a limited number of slots that we can use for courses and workshops, so get your application in soon. If you have one of two subjects you would like us to consider, submit both for evaluation. We hope to continue this practice each quarter, so if your course doesn’t get chosen for the October-December slot, we may inquire about a future date. And if a class is successful, we may ask for a followup course in future quarters allowing you to re-use your material. We want this to be a success, and are looking for individuals with a similar level of commitment.
Apply Here: LVL1 Course Application
Please direct any questions/concerns to email@example.com