Ever wanted to create a Magic Mirror? Look no further than this build session!
Session #1: Wednesday, Feb 22, 2016 6-9PM
Session #2: Saturday, Feb 25, 2017 10AM-1PM
Q: What is a Magic Mirror?
A: A Magic Mirror is a reference to a 2 way mirror with a LCD screen behind it displaying data via a web page.
See these videos and product showcases
Q: Why would I want to build this?
A: So you can learn, customize and build something great!
Q: I don’t know anything about a Raspberry Pi, should I attend?
A: Yes, we will walk through with explicit directions on each step of the process. If you can follow directions & type, you can build this!
Q: I want to build a bigger one, why would I want to build an 8″x10″ one?
A: We have to start somewhere, you can bring your own materials (LCD, glass, frame, etc.) and follow along if you want, but the directions we have may not apply 100% to you. Using all the same parts speeds the class.
Q: I really want to attend, what do I do next?
A: Just RSVP, we’ll handle the rest.
What you’ll learn:
- How to connect a Pi to the internet
- How to copy & edit someone’s code from Github
- How to remotely connect to a Raspberry Pi via VNC
- How to start a Pi in kiosk mode for full browser display on startup
- How to add custom widgets/modules to the Magic Mirror
What you’ll leave the session with:
- A 10″x8″ Magic Mirror base (frame, 2 way mirror & LCD w power cord)
- SD Card that you’ve customized and can be added to your own Pi at home
Bring with you:
- Laptop with wifi & power cord
- Raspberry Pi (Suggested Raspberry Pi 3 Model B; CanaKit Raspberry Pi Zero Starter Kit; Raspberry Pi Zero for advanced users)
- Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit w 32 GB SD Card
- Raspberry Pi 3 Ultimate Starter Kit – 32 GB Edition
- Note: Be sure to note if your kit includes a SD card or not