It's probably no secret by now that I am easily amused, but I wasn't the only one entertained by Ben Douglas' dry ice set up at the meeting this past Tuesday. With dry ice, soap bubbles and hot water, he created a fun round of bubble popping for everyone. The bubbles squish into clouds of smoke - like magic!
I've made a video for my Youtube Channel in case you missed it. Seems like this would be great for science fair projects for young kids. Watch the Video Here.
This is a cross post from my blog at makeawesomesh.it. It is a little late but I hope it is still useful. All of the code used can be pulled from this github repo.
This project came out of the Hackathon LVL1 had in June 2012. The rules were minimal but had a big impact on the end product. The competition ran from noon Saturday till noon Sunday, so 24 hours. We had access to all of the tools at LVL1 plus we could bring our own tools, but we could not have any of the tools integrated as part of the final project. Each team was given an Arduino and a bread board. All other material has to come out of the LVL1 boneyard (this is the collection of stuff that has been donated for the purpose of hacking in any way we wish.) The goal was to make anything you want.
We had the weeks leading up to the event to look around the boneyard and think about what we thought we could make. We started with a list of things we wanted to make then limited that down to things we thought we had the parts to make. We tentatively settled on a 3D scanner. We knew we had all of the parts to make it but there was no guarantee that they would still be there the day of the hackathon as the boneyard was still being used normally by the hackerspace.
...continue reading "24 hour junk 3d scanner"
Well hi, my name is Michael Dorsey, a computer engineer student currently doing Co-op at LVL1. Right now, I'm working on two projects relating to gaming, one of them having to do with fusing a game console with a projector to make it "all-in-one," similar to how people have been also modifying game consoles to become portable.
The other project I'm working is attempting to modify a game controller with the use of a micro-controller. I'm not fully sure how I'm going to go about doing this as I'm still in the middle of research and trying to plan this all out. However, hopefully by the beginning of next month I'll have made much progress on my work. For now, here are some pictures that reflect the ideas of my projects.
We have been fairly quiet publicly, but many subsystems are coming to completion rapidly, including the helium gas overflow vent valve. Completion of anything flying on a ballon means it's time to do some science! Tests must be done, data must be noted, hypotheses checked. Gary Flispart and I put together a detailed technical video explanation of the vacuum leak test system we've made.
Stay tuned for more updates at http://whitestarballoon.org , we are on track to launch in the next month or two!
White Star Team Lead