Woodworking Classes – A foundation Course in woodworking. (Cutting boards)
Monday, January 2, 2017 6:30-9:30PM
This class will take you through the process of straightening and squaring wood for jointing into a cutting board that you can take home! (Size limit 16”X10”). This is a perfect beginner level course for those interested in woodworking but are in need of some help getting started! Its also perfect for those who would just love to make a cutting board!
Tools used: table saw, planer, router, sanders, bar clamps and hand plane.
Safety equipment and materials included in the cost of the course.
Note: Additional time may be required for glue set up. Just come back next class and we can finish up!
Speedy PC SSD Install Workshop!
Saturday, January 7, 2017 3-8PM
Have a computer or laptop that seems kind of sluggish? Speed it up with a solid state drive! Purchase an SSD in advance, and get help installing it and setting up Windows or Linux!
Arduino 101: Getting Started
Saturday, January 7, 2017: 12:30-4:30PM
Ever wanted to know how to program your own microcontroller? Control a few devices such as a ceiling fan or garage door opener? Get started with Arduino 101.
What you’ll learn
- Differences between devices such as Arduinos, Raspberry Pis & personal computers
- How to write a basic program and control items
- How to transfer your new program to the Arduino
- How to use a breadboard, signals and power from the Arduino to make an LED blink
- How to switch on/off 120v powered items such as lights, appliances and other items
- How to use sensors to detect (time permitting)
- Where to look for inspiration and example projects to continue learning
Bring with you
- Laptop with a web browser and passwords to install programs we download: suggested to install before arrival: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
- Laptop can be either Mac or PC/Windows based
Example projects featuring Arduinos
World Mood Box
Doomcano (LVL1’s fundraising fire box)
Butterscotch (LVL1’s famous fire breathing pony, hardware overview)
Vinyl Cutter: Customizing products like a cup/tumbler
Wednesday, January 11, 2017: 6-7:30PM
This session covers the skills needed to customize a drinking tumbler. Space is limited to 10 people. $12 fee covers all materials (tumbler, vinyl) used in the course; bring your own item for $5.
- Learn how to use software to create a design the vinyl cutter can understand your text or graphic
- Learn how to setup and begin cutting with the machine
- Learn how to adhere your design to a surface
Raspberry Pi: Getting Started Workshop
Saturday, January 14, 2017 12:30-4:30PM
Grab a Raspberry Pi during any holiday sales? Learn how to use it during this workshop. Don’t have one but want to learn, we will have them available.
During this workshop you’ll learn:
- Raspberry Pi overview & capabilities
- Getting started with the Pi
- Formatting an SD card for Mac & PC
- Updating the Pi’s software
- Accessing from the network or via a keyboard, screen and mouse
- First project
- Learn how to turn on/off GPIOs (the pins that turn on/off items connected to the Pi)
- Turning on/off LEDs
- Turning on/off relays
- Reading data from a sensor (time allowing)
Example projects that use the Pi
- Photo frame: https://pimylifeup.com/
- Gaming emulator: https://pimylifeup.com/
Intermediate & Advanced
- Wifi enabled garage door opener: http://
www.instructables.com/id/ Raspberry-Pi-Garage-Door-Op ener/
- Jukebox: http://lifehacker.com/
how-to-build-a-raspberry-pi -jukebox-any-non-geek-can- us-1712107103