LVL1, Louisville’s premier maker & hackerspace invites you to celebrate 5 years of making, hacking & collaboration. Located in The Pointe in Butchertown, LVL1 is a community of makers, doers and workshop full of tools.
W.O.P.E.R., Butterscotch the fire breathing pony, sumobots, high voltage & radiation demonstrations will be available to the public. Grab a tour of the space that includes a 3’x4’ laser cutter, woodshop, metal shop, 3D printers, vinyl cutters and other equipment to bring your project to life.
- Who: Everyone
- What: Meet & greet, celebration & display
- When: Festivities kickoff 6PM Saturday, July 11, 2015
- Why: Celebrate 5 years of making, and 1 year in the new location
- RSVPs: encouraged
- Parking: Available on the street or in The Pointe parking lot
- Food: We’ll have a few food & drink items available for attendees
- Waiver: Please complete this wavier process to speed access to the event
- Cost: Free
Tanner Reid is back in town, and he’ll be doing another Autodesk Fusion 360 workshop. If you’re interested in learning about this awesome FREE tool for 3D design, stop by before next Tuesday’s meeting, around 6pm, and learn how to use it!
RSVP at Meetup.com: http://www.meetup.com/LVL1Hackerspace/events/223141933/
And download the tool before the workshop here: http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview
If you have any question about Fusion or this workshop, ask it on our public Google group!
Here’s a rundown of this week’s activities. Hope to see you at the space for this or open hours as people post on the Google Group.
We have a new member, Alan. He started working on a crib for his upcoming kid and decided it was time to join for 24/7 key card access & tools the space makes available. Welcome Alan & thanks for donating the new belt sander:
- Tuesday, May 12: 8PM -? Our general meeting where projects are showcased, updates on upcoming events, calls for help & tours. The space opened up at 1:30 PM today so you could get a head start on your project.
- Wednesday, May 13: 7-9PM Join a network of educators to share resources to promote making in the education space.
- Friday, May 15:
- 8:30-10:30AM: Creative Mornings focusing on makers & robots; LVL1 is one of the sponsors. Free event just above our space, then we have tours afterwards. RSVP
- 7PM Workshop du jour for the Laser Cutter. Learn the basic on the 80-watt laser cutter. More info
- 7:30PM Irregular Movie & Pizza Night – always a fun time to work (or not) on your project while a movie is on & people devour pizza.
- Monday, May 19: 7PM; Mend It Monday: Learn from LVL1 members on how to mend various space equipment or learn how to use it. Each week the focus changes. Previous events have been on the laser, woodshop & other items.
More events located on our calendar at www.lvl1.org/events including:
Drone meetups, sewing workshops, and other items added frequently!
A few of our members of the community are looking for spare items, let us know if you have access to any of the following:
- Outdoor seating & tables for the space
- Lightweight frame tubing for a go cart
- 1/2″, 3/4″ conduit pipes
- Various hardwood: cherry, walnut, maple, oak, etc.
Keep hacking on & come back and visit us.
Welcome to the Workshop du Jour!
This is the beginning in a series of laissez-faire learning experiences that will seem less like school and more like troublemakers getting together on a Friday night to try something new.
Some people call it the “maker movement”–we don’t really care, as long as whatever happened was awesome and somebody got pictures.
So stop by around 7PM on Friday, May 15th if you want to (1) learn a skill/tool, (2) teach people how to cause trouble with it, or (3) eat pizza and dick around with friends (bring some cash for pizza).
There will be a theme each month or two, and the current theme is (FRICKIN’) LASER CUTTING!
I urge everyone to stop by–especially if you’ve been wondering how to work with our magnificent lasers (pew pew!). Those with great laser experience would be particularly helpful in sharing the wealth of their knowledge, too.
There is no cost. Ever. Even if we are offering a kit to pay for, we’ll always have scrap. And as such, I plan to bring lots of cardboard and fun designs to share with everybody.
PLUS–I will work to schedule a few more dates for our FRICKIN’ LASER theme, but don’t just come to one per theme; you can continue to come and contribute to the community by helping other newbies as they learn to laser.
This will be an ongoing series, and I’m looking for more people who want to step up and be part of the fun in upcoming themes! Stay tuned for more announcements and updates.
Hope to see you there!