What is LVL1?
LVL1 is a hackerspace (sometimes called a makerspace) in Louisville. Our hackerspace is an open community lab and workshop democratically operated by its membership. We are friendly community of tinkerers, makers, engineers, educators, scientists, artists, hackers and overall geeks. Anyone who is, aspires to be, or just wants to hang around smart, creative, friendly mad scientist maker/hacker Louisvillians is welcome at LVL1! We've got lots of cool tools and equipment. We've got a lot of really bright and creative people. We like to work on (and show off) fun and challenging technical projects.
How to get involved with LVL1
Does this sound like an endeavor you want to be a part of? ... Great! Come and join us!
We highly recommend you show up for one of our Tuesday open meeting and open build nights! We briefly go through some membership agenda items. We tell you what's currently going on at the space. We tell you about any challenges the space is facing (technical or otherwise). People are free to talk about projects they are working on or planning. Then once the meeting is adjourned, free-for-all making continues. We give a tour of the space. Everyone is free to work on projects, socialize and geek out. It's a great time to hang out with fellow geeks working on cool DIY tech projects. You'll probably get inspired!
Again, we highly recommend you come to a meeting. There's a common misperception that you should be a member before coming to these meetings. This is not true! At least 50% of our meeting attendees are ''not'' dues paying members and all of them are welcome. Most of those non-members have no intention of becoming dues paying members. That's fine! There's no pressure to become an official member! Official membership has some awesome benefits and we'd love to have you, but it's cool if you just want to hang out and geek out.
Interest Groups and Projects
Check the What's Happening section of our wiki main page. There are a variety of ever-changing projects and interests at the space. Don't see what you're interested in? Consider starting/hosting a project. We can help by providing work space, tools, and sometimes materials.
Connect with LVL1
Check out our web, wiki, and social media links on our Connect page (click here).
Donations/Support for LVL1
Becoming a member is one way to support LVL1. But you don't have to be a member to teach a class, hold a workshop, participate in our cleanup activities, help upgrade/repair/maintain equipment, etc. If you want to help out, we can find a way for you to do that!
If you buy stuff from Amazon, log in to Amazon Smile and select LVL1 as your favorite non-profit. It doesn't cost you any extra and a small percentage comes our way.
Did you know that LVL1 is a registered 501c3 charitable non-profit organization? That means, among other things, that we can apply for grants and accept donations of equipment or money. Your donations might even be tax-deductible! Check with our treasurer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
You can use this form to donate:
- Louisville Mini Maker Faire Electrifies Fourth Street LIVE! October 2017
- Fidget-Spinning Robot Out-Uselesses Other Useless Machines June 2017
- Butchertown makerspace promotes innovation Courier-Journal, May 2015
- LVL1 Featured in Popular Science December 2014
- Nerds Abroad: Local Team Needs your Help to Compete in Europe Using Redbull as Currency March 2014
- Monthly Drone and Quadcopter Meet-ups at LVL1 Begin this Month after Quadcopter Battles Spark Interest January 2014
- "Make" Your Dreams Come True with a "Makership" Residency Grant at Local Hackerspace Workshop December 2013
- 'GE executive: ‘We’re trying to connect with entrepreneurs wherever they are’ October 2013
- 'Louisville shows off a bit of genius with first annual Maker Faire October 2013
- 'Friendly mad scientists' hack away at Louisville's problems Courier-Journal February 23rd, 2013 -- link no longer active
- DIYLouisville interview with Chris C. from LVL1, December 2011
- LVL1 and White Star featured in the book Hack This! October 2011
- Hack a Day visits LVL1 July 21, 2011
- 'They can't bottle this': Could LVL1′s geek clubhouse turn into Louisville’s high-tech biz incubator? Insider Louisville, July 5th 2011
- The Hacktory a feature article about LVL1 in LEO Weekly, January 2011.
- 'Amateur science' takes flight as balloonists hope to fly craft across ocean Courier-Journal November 16th, 2010 -- link no longer active
- 'Maker movement' expands to Louisville: Area gadget builders open workshop Courier-Journal July 19th, 2010 -- link no longer active